CANWINE

The Online Forum for Canadian Wine Discussion

New, revised version of the CANWINE list, now on the bleeding edge of technology (well, sort of!).

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Catching up....

I too have been remiss about posting: life's just been too crazy lately, as I was in Victoria and Saskatoon the last week of March (details).

We were up in Banff in February and discovered the most wonderful new (to us) wine store tucked away in the lower level of the Banff Springs Hotel. Small but interesting selection of Canadian wines, including some things I've never seen here in Calgary (like Coyote Run) or not seen for some time (like Konzelmann).

Their prices were not outrageous, but James Banford, the manager, did note that when they get their two or three cases of allocated product, most of it ends up in the wine bar and not in the shop. I can understand that from a commercial perspective, but it sure would be nice to buy things to take home.

Because we were taking the bus, we could only pack home one bottle -- the lower-end Coyote Run Sauv Blanc, which was a Stelvin container. Took it to Saskatoon two weeks' ago to share with Dennis' brother and quite enjoyed it with barbequed chicken.

The biggest revelation in Saskatoon was dinner at Weczeria. Lovely husband-and-wife team, brilliant (and primarily locally sourced) food, local microbrewed beer, and an all-Canadian wine list: who could ask for anything more? Including a beer, appetizer, main course, dessert, and liqueur-sized glass of Pinnacle ice cider each, and splitting a bottle of 2002 Stag's Leap Chardonnay, our tab was under $200 after taxes for three of us. Such a deal.

The restaurant is just off Broadway, on the south side of the river, in a wonderful neighbourhood of funky clothes stores, craft shops, galleries, and nightclubs. It was the Friday night of Juno weekend, and pretty crazy out on the street: as we were finishing off our mains, four musician-types strode in and had a quick meal before playing a local club -- not exactly sure who they were, but they were obviously "somebody."

The weekend before that, I was in Victoria: yes, it rained for two of the three days I was there, but to see green grass and flowers again was a real treat! Took myself to a leisurely Friday lunch at Spinnakers, one of my favourite places. Eight plump fresh oysters, some exquisite French fries, and delicious beer is a great way to dry out from a downpour!

On my way back to the hotel, I stopped off at their liquor store, which is a few blocks away. Just an amazing selection of Vancouver Island wines: what I wouldn't have given to be locked in there with the Riedel glasses and a corkscrew for several days.... Some fabulous local beers as well: I took two from Phillips (India Dark Ale and Double Chocolate Porter) back to my hotel room for evening sipping, and they were terrific.

Unfortunately, the %#(&^# security procedures at the airport precluded me hand-carrying anything home, but I did carefully wrap and box up a small (8.5 oz) bottle of balsalmic vinegar from Venturi-Schultze and tucked it into my suitcase: yes, it made it home unscathed. Their winery is only a couple of miles from my cousin's house, and he graciously picked one up for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Macdonald said...

Linda:

Glad you managed to visit Weczeria. I have been following its development through the posts made by the owner/chef at eGullet.

Sounds like it is a pretty good addition to Saskatoon. The week Sandy and I spent in "Toon Town" dealing with Merlin's cancer...you remember all that golden hair in my Camrmy [smile]... was pretty grim food and wine wise until we discovered Calories. Calories must be in the same general area.

I was in Banff a couple of weeks ago but it was more business than pleasure so did not make it to the Banff Springs at all. Will have a "look-see" at the store you mentioned the next time I am there.

Just finishing off a bottle of Sandhill Pinot Gris. A bottle of Kettle Valley to come. Am glad to have Easter Monday off.

Cheers to all.

5:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home