CANWINE

The Online Forum for Canadian Wine Discussion

New, revised version of the CANWINE list, now on the bleeding edge of technology (well, sort of!).

Friday, April 06, 2007

Ontario Pinot Noir: Le Clos Jordanne

After many years of not being called "home" by the "home office", I have had to go to meetings in Ottawa twice in the last month or so.

The meetings and weather were dreary but the "wining and dining" at Beckta on Nepean between Kent and I think Elgin made up for it. Stephen Beckta is the owner, hence the name. He was a sommelier in New York City at one of Daniel Boulod's [sp?] restaurants before returning home to Ottawa and renovating an old house and opening his place in I think 2003 or 2004. The restaurant was featured in one of the earlier espisodes of Opening Soon on the FoodTV network.

I have eaten there on three of the 5 nites while in Ottawa. Very good. His wine list is excellent and he has intentionally featured Canadian wines. I very much enjoyed "Steve's Blend" which is a blend of rieslings selected by Stephen from barrels produced by Cave Springs in Jordon, Ontario. Crisp but with lots of fruit. It does not measure up to my favourite Canadian riesling , CSV from the same vineyard but we are talking very different price points. For a good valued everyday white, excellent.

On my last trip I had some of the Le Clos Jordanne which is produced by VINCOR in conjunction with the Boisset family from Burgundy. I guess it is Ontario going the Franco-Cdn route like Osoyoos Larose and company out west. Delicious dark berry fruit complemented with some heft and weight. A very nice pinot noir. I think I was drinking their Village Reserve label from '04 which is their "entry level" pinot retailing at about $25 per bottle. A price I find quite astonishing for a very good Canadian pinot. Doing some internet sleuthing I see that their top end label was priced at $60 and sold out very quickly. I would certainly buy more of what I tried but expect that it is all sold out as well. Will know better in a short while because I am heading to the office despite it being Good Friday to pick up a few things, but MUCH MORE importantly dropping in at one Edmonton's best wine stores, de Vines on 104th Street and Jasper Ave to see if they can track any of it down for me.

Happy Easter all....good drinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home